Sunday, January 28, 2007

Quick Lesson: What the Rich Does, and the Rest Don't (part 2: Gambling?)

One important factor that the rich sets themselves from normal investors, is the way the rich look at investing.

Normal investors have to understand that investing in shares should never be exciting. Define exciting? When you find yourself sitting infront of the live price stream, and find a drop of 2% too much to handle, such that it makes you want to look at the price stream, hoping for more buyers than sellers.

If you are staring at the charts cause of contra trades, you are gambling.

In the past, with me holding shares of companies that have made +30% (and still holding), I no longer feel the thrill of the shares increasing in price. In the search for thrill, I made the mistake of finding excitment by doing contra on large movers. Maybe initially I'm able to make money, but gains were in the range of $100-$500 dollars, but losses were larger due to the large commission charges. In the end, I see my +30% gain in my portfolio become something more like 20% due to contra losses I made.

I can safely bet (and its a calculated gamble here) that 90% of successful investors never do contra. The gains from contra trading is too insignificant for the amount of time staring at the charts, and sleepless nights cause its T+2 already. If you were to hold on to good stocks, chances are 50% PA returns are very easily achievable. Together with compounding returns, you will see your $10,000 become $50,000 in no time. Try doing that in contra trading.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

While I generally agree with your general argurment with regards to contra trading, I think it is definitely possible to compound your returns with a combination of short term and contra trading of structured warrants.

Of cos I am sure you do not intend to include these as part of the general stock trading strategies. Still given the bullish overhang on the market in the last couple of months, if one is nimble, it is possible to profit from contra trade. But only if you trade within your means.

A very nice and well written article. Do keep it up.